Board of Health History & Honor Roll

In 1902 Burlington had less than 600 residents. Though it was more than 100 years ago, the public health and safety of the residents was important. At that time, the four major occupations in town were dairy farming, the raising of pigs, fruit-growing and vegetable "truck" gardening. The consequences of unsanitary practices by any of these businessmen could cause various physical problems in residents if not properly overseen and regulated.

  1. First Board
  2. Honor Roll
  3. Offices

Horses pulling a tall wheeled cart of produceFirst Board of Health

The first Board of Health consisted of three members and was established in 1902. Until 1956, the Board of Selectmen acted as the Board of Health.

Fernald Ham

Fernald Ham was an innkeeper on Middlesex Turnpike and Adams Street and also an industrious farmer who bred a new type of sweet corn. His 45 Holstein cows provided milk to Boston and the surrounding areas. He was also a prime mover in the establishment of the Burlington Agricultural Society and had an interest in real estate.

Bennett HouseEdwin Bennett

Edwin Bennett was a farmer and:

  • Former Selectman (1892, and 1894 and 1895)
  • A member of the Cemetery Committee in 1894
  • A Library Trustee (1897, 1899, 1900 to 1902, 1904 and 1906)
  • A "Measurer of Wood" in 1898
  • An "overseer of the Poor" (1878, 1893, 1895 and 1902)

Simonds Park
His farm and acreage were eventually purchased by Marshall Simonds, a name which is still well known today. Mr. Simonds had no direct heirs, and he left the acreage to the Town and is now Simonds Park, something residents are still enjoying in various forms today. The middle school also bears his name.

Thomas Reed

Thomas ReedThe third original member was Thomas I. Reed, who ran a highly successful farm and ham-curing business. Reed's cured hams were deemed to be of the highest quality and were purchased by many of the wealthy in downtown Boston and suburbs.

His house remains today on Cambridge Street opposite County Road and many years later was the office of the late dentist, Dr. Bertram Christmas.

He also served in 1866 as an "Overseer of the Poor" and 51 years as Deacon of the United Church of Christ, Congregational.


All information and photos were obtained from "Burlington: Part of a Greater Chronicle," written by the late Town Historian, John "Ed" Fogelberg.