Work That Requires a Permit from Conservation

Wetlands Permit

A wetlands permit from Conservation is required for all work, other than routine maintenance, proposed to occur within floodplain, 100 feet of a wetland*, or 200 feet of a stream (as defined by the Wetlands Protection Act Massachusetts General Laws (MGL) Chapter 131, s40 or the Burlington Wetlands Bylaw Article XIV).

Stormwater (fka Erosion & Sedimentation Control) Permit

An erosion and sedimentation control permit is required for any land disturbance equal to or greater than 5,000 square feet of land or adding additional  impervious surface totalling 5% or more of the lot, regardless of whether the activity is proposed in or near wetlands or not. Land disturbing activities include, but are not limited to:

  • Clearing
  • Excavation
  • Filling
  • Grading
  • Landscaping

thresholds and requirements Stormwater Permits_

Whether residential, commercial, or governmental, any work under Conservation jurisdiction must be reviewed and approved by the Conservation Commission prior to commencement of the project. When in doubt, please call the Conservation Department. We would be happy to review your project to determine if a Conservation Commission filing is required.


Download permit applications.

If you are filing for a wetland permit (Notice of Intent, Request for Determination of Applicability, etc.) please send digital copies of everything (application, plans, narrative, etc.) by email to Conservation as well as the paper copies and fees by mail or another delivery service.

A Note on Wetlands

Inland wetlands are areas where water is at or just below the surface of the ground. Although these wetlands can appear dry during some seasons, they contain enough water to support certain plants and soils.

The Wetlands Protection Act specifically identifies any bank, freshwater wetland, coastal wetland, beach, dune, flat, marsh, meadow or swamp bordering on the ocean or any estuary, creek, river, stream, pond or lake, or any land under said waters or any land subject to tidal action, coastal storm flowage, or flooding...